This is the last week of Term One! Happy holidays dear poetry fans!
1. Last night the NZ cricket team showed they can be gracious winners and gracious losers. For me good cricket can be like poetry which ever side is shining!
2. Yesterday I went to the Storylines Award Ceremony where new writers won awards that will see their very first book published. Exciting!
Storylines also announced the Notable Book Awards for 2014. I was very delighted that The Letterbox Cat and Other Poems and A Treasury of NZ Poems For Children were picked. I got to read three poems there. I read one by me, one by my hero Margaret Mahy and Caleb‘s fabulous poem ‘The Poet’ (he was from Russley School in Christchurch). Storylines work hard for children and children’s books all year!
Poetry doesn’t know where its home is! Sometimes it is non fiction and sometimes it is junior fiction! I always think it is fiction as so much of poetry is invented but sometimes it records the world and then I think it is non fiction …. so I guess it belongs in both places.
3. This week I am going to post my favourite odes on Thursday.
4. This week I am also going to post a surprise pack of poems I got from Russley School that I just LOVE!
5. And I will tell you about my fabulous visit to another school.
6. In the first week of term Three I will announce the details of The Fourth Fabulous Poetry Competition!
7. I have started work on my next collection of poems for children … using the titles you gave me on my Hot Spot Poetry Tour. It is such fun. It will take me at least a year to write these poems.
8. You still have time to send me an Ode to Cricket!
9. During the holidays you can write me a letter in the form of a poem and tell me something wonderful you saw. Details below.
10. Interview challenge: I am on the hunt for children and classes to interview NZ writers again this year. If you want to do this you need to tell me the name of the author and why you want to interview them. You need to tell me your name, school, age, year and name of teacher and if you are a whole class. I will pick my favourites and see if I can get the author to do the interview with you. I will post this challenge again at the beginning of Term 2. If I pick you, I will give your more details. I will have a prize pack of books for my favourite interview.