This morning on the beach I was expecting to run into the rain but I was running into a blinding sun. Amazing!
I was very surprised to come across these chopsticks in the sand. I thought it was either beach art or beach rubbish but it looked kind of cool.
As I ran, I started thinking about food because I have a very special birthday next weekend and I am making lunch for my extended family. I was thinking about all the food I love and the food other people love. I love cooking and I love sharing food with family and friends. I especially love food from other countries.
Food often creeps into my adult poems but with my new collection I tried NOT to ever mention food but it still snuck in(just a little bit)! I am hard at work on the last draft of this.
So this seemed like a golden opportunity to set a food challenge. Try writing a poem about food. I have given you some tips and starting points.
1. Think of your favourite foods.
2. Think of foods you loathe.
3. Think of a special meal you have had.
4. Food brings back memories. Can you find a cool memory through food.
5. What would be YOUR perfect birthday dinner?
6. Food reminds of people (mum, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles) and something they cook or love to eat. Write a poem portrait of someone through food.
7. Have you been to another country. Write a poem about the food you ate.
8. Invent food.
9. Sometimes I have been hungry when I lived overseas and didn’t have much money and I could only eat once a day. Have you ever been hungry?
10.Sometimes food reminds you of a place.
11. Come up with your own starting point.
1. Collect heaps of words and phrases before you start.
2. Use your senses to hunt for words.
3. Show with good detail what you think of the food without using words like delicious or disgusting!
4. Think about how many words you use on a line.
5. Listen to every line.
6. Good detail will make your poem come alive.
DEADLINE for your Food-Poem Challenge: Wednesday June 10th
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, year, age and name of school. You can include your teacher’s name and email.
PLEASE say it’s for the Food-Poem challenge. Put in the subject line of the email please.
I will post my favourites and have a book for a poet (Year 0 to Year 8).
I love Moroccan food and cooking with a tagine:
I love seafood:
Here are first tamarillos I grew this year! Yum!